Newswise — Indianapolis, IN (June 7, 2022) – The American College of Sports Medicine® (ACSM) announced the 2021 Paper of the Year for each of ACSM’s five highly acclaimed journals during its annual meeting symposium “American College of Sports Medicine Journals: Three Years in Review.”
The annual Paper of the Year award for each of ACSM’s journals recognizes the demonstrated scientific and scholarly excellence of an article published during the previous year. The selection for this award, now in its third year, was made by the editor-in-chief of each journal, who received nominations from the associate editors of said journal. The associate editors were instructed to consider the following criteria when making nominations: article impact, research significance, conceptual design and/or technical innovation.
The 2021 Paper of the Year selections for each of the journals are:
- ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal®: “Fitness Watches and Nutrition Apps: Behavioral Benefits and Emerging Concerns” by authors Jennifer L. Scheid, Ph.D., and Shannon P. Lupien, Ph.D. Published in the March/April 2021 issue.
- Current Sports Medicine Reports: “Clinical Practice Guidelines for Exertional Rhabdomyolysis: A Military Medicine Perspective” by authors Nathaniel S. Nye, M.D.; Korey Kasper, M.D.; Clifford Marc Madsen, D.O.; Michelle Szczepanik, M.D.; Carlton J. Covey, M.D.; Robert Oh, M.D.; Shawn Kane, M.D., FACSM; Anthony I. Beutler, M.D.; Jeffrey C. Leggit, M.D.; Patricia A. Deuster, Ph.D., MPH, FACSM; Francis G. O’Connor, M.D., MPH, FACSM. Published in the March 2021 issue.
- Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews: “Strength Training: In Search of Optimal Strategies to Maximize Neuromuscular Performance” by authors Jacques Duchateau, Ph.D.; Séverine Stragier, Ph.D.; Stéphane Baudry, Ph.D.; and Alain Carpentier, Ph.D. Published in the January 2021 issue.
- Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®: “Daily Step Count and Postprandial Fat Metabolism” by authors Heath M. Burton, Ph.D., and Edward F. Coyle, Ph.D., FACSM. Published in the February 2021 issue.
- Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine: “Metabolic and Cardiovascular Responses to a Simulated Commute on an E-Bike” by authors Helaine M. Alessio, Ph.D., FACSM; Timothy Reiman; Brett Kemper; Winston von Carlowitz, B.S.; A. John Bailer, Ph.D.; and Kyle L. Timmerman, Ph.D., FACSM. Published in the spring 2021 compendium.
The ACSM Publications Committee established an annual Paper of the Year award in 2020 for each of ACSM’s journals to recognize the demonstrated excellence in scientific and scholarly articles published during the previous year. With five leading scholarly journals, ACSM offers access to cutting-edge research, translational science, relevant clinical reports and evidence-informed practical content for researchers, students, clinicians, those working to improve health outcomes, and health and fitness professionals. For more information click here.
Note: ACSM’s Annual Meeting and World Congresses on the Basic Science of Exercise and Vascular health has concluded with new research being presented. To obtain post-conference online access to sessions (available online beginning June 13) or to schedule interviews with speakers or other experts, please submit your request to [email protected].
About the American College of Sports Medicine®
The American College of Sports Medicine® (ACSM) is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world. More than 50,000 international, national and regional members are dedicated to advancing and integrating scientific research to improve educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine. Learn more at acsm.org.
# # #